On September 10, 2019, Alex Procope presented a case law update alongside Laroux Peoples and Ambie Edgar-Chana. The Practice Gems: Estates Administration 2019 professional development program was presented by the Law Society of Ontario. It covered topics including tax laws, deciphering a will or trust, duties of an estate trustee in the midst of a dependent’s support claim, avoiding negligence claims and the role of an estate trustee during litigation. Alex’s paper “Passing of Accounts: Current Updates” focused on the good, the bad and the ugly in two recent passing of accounts decisions.
The program was chaired by Timothy Grieve and Kimberly Whaley and papers and talks were also provided by:
- Jordan Atin, C.S., TEP, Hull & Hull LLP
- Blair Botsford, TEP, Blaney McMurtry LLP
- Joan Jung, Minden Gross LLP
- Raymond Leclair, Vice-President, Public Affairs, Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company
- Michael Marra, WEL Partners
- Doreen So, Hull & Hull LLP
- Marshall Swadron, Swadron Associates
Passing accounts can be the final step in the estates administration process. PBP Lawyers represent clients in passing of accounts applications for executors, trustees and attorneys for and guardians of property as part of our wills and trusts disputes practice area. If you or one of your loved one’s needs representation in this area, please contact us.